How do you build the perfect jewelry wardrobe? The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) has created a guide to help those of us looking to add classic, forever pieces to build a jewelry collection to last us a lifetime. Selecting pieces that are timeless in style mean that they can be worn and enjoyed forever. Here is their recommend list of jewels that every woman should have in her collection, with a few tweaks from our vintage and antique perspective.
1. Diamond Studs. Beautiful, quality stones are available for any price range and size; from discreet little pin dots to carat weights as big as headlights.
2. Gold Hoops. This classic style works in any color gold…white, yellow or rose gold. Small to mid-size hoops work best for classic styling. Super large hoops tend to be more fashion trendy so avoid investing in anything that small basketballs could fit through. The right size hoops are always attractive and almost always appropriate.
3. Pearls. Pearl stud earrings are a great classic never-go-out-of-style option. And don’t forget that a classic strand of pearls can go with everything you wear from your LBD, a tailored business suit, wedding gown to jeans & a white tee on the weekends. Pearls are a good investment that will take you through the moments of your life with elegance, ease and style.
4. An elegant brooch. Here is where our vintage and antique style preference comes into play! The brooch has been around forever and they really can add that personal statement to any jacket, coat or sweater. Whether it’s a passed down heirloom or a treasured find from an estate sale, add one of these to your collection.
5. A gold Chain. Yellow gold, white gold or rose gold, whichever you choose can become a statement staple for your jewelry wardrobe.
6. Pendants are an additional option for your necklace collection. It can be a single stone on a delicate 16-inch chain or a 4-inch Gothic-inspired cross set with agate and carnelian on a 30-inch rope. Slide a pendant onto an existing chain or layer another longer length necklace with your classic gold chain. Either way, you get a standout piece of jewelry that will take you through the years.
7. Bangles. Worn stacked or alone, skinny or wide, bangle bracelets have been around forever and will continue to be so.
8. Charm Bracelet. A wrist full of clinking, clanging doodads is always a good choice, or perhaps you might try choosing just one remarkable medallion to hang from an open link chain bracelet.
9. Signature Ring. This one you choose for yourself. Be bold. Make a statement. Of course, we love a good antique or vintage ring!
10. Classic Watch. Don’t tell time using your cell phone! Enjoy the beauty and benefit of owning a classic watch. Whether vintage or new, a good watch can be worn alone for the purpose it was intended and also make a statement if it is stacked on your arm with a party of bangle bracelets. That's a real punch of style!
Comments will be approved before showing up.